Testing Practice & Strategy
- Do NOT spend more then a minute with each question the first time around.
- Go through each section of a test with a “first pass” and go back to questions that you are not sure on.
- When you go back for a second run – use a process of elimination to wipe out answers that you know are not correct.
- Do NOT second guess yourself – if your instincts say one thing –it is most likely the right choice.
- Be careful not to bubble in answers to questions that you will return to – this can throw your whole answer sheet off.
What types of questions are on STAR tests?
- Sentence Completion
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing Ability
- Basic Math Strategies
- Quantitative Comparison
- Math Refresher/Review
One of the best ways to prepare and review for STAR is to practice the released test questions. They are actual questions from previous tests that are currently available on the website for the California Department of Education.